Games and Youth Employability

How do you think “games” can help with youth employability?

1 Like

Game is not only mean video game. Combine games and careers together can help users compared career adaptability, scores and learning. Users can find what workplace that they lack from paly a game.

1 Like

Games help youth identify their advantages and provide youth opportunities for sharing their insights, which can help employers know applicants better, so that the possibility of youth being hired will be greatly increased.

If one thinks about “games”, not like a “video game” only, but instead as more like “role play games”, then it makes sense that they could be used for employment purposes, as a way to “pre-screen” candidates, who can “display” their skills and talents. This provides additional data and information for hiring managers and HR staff to evaluate a candidate, rather than relying on trusting a candidate’s CV or resume. It enables matching youth with positions where employability can be considered through demonstration of skills, competencies, and talents.

Here’s an article about how games can be used as a strategy for human resources.

Students can use the gamification element to improve their mental flexibility and problem-solving abilities, both of which are crucial skills for employability.
Here’s a presentation on the topic " gamification and employability"
Game on gamification and the quest for employability

1 Like

“Employability Games” are the kind of games designed to help Youth end up landing jobs in better and faster ways. For example, typical “Position Driven” Games as you could find at http://p4w-test.s3-website-ap-southeast-1.amazonaws.com/ can help candidates not only to hone their skills with challenging “surveys” but also arrange "meetings with potential employers simply in a “Click and Go” manner.

1 Like

Different Games are been designed for different reason.for example when it comes to battle strategy, games like chess are recommended.Thats why in some countries learning chess is one of the prerequicite for a person to get into military,because if you are good in chess means you will be good in commanding your team in order to reach your target. So they are logical game that can be build which as far a person is good in that game then he will get the chance of getting jobs in different place

3 Likes

This is a great article!

The bibliography in the paper linked by Aijia is also interesting.

Apparently the term “serious games” is used in the literature for those games requiring different forms of cognitive work.

E.g.,
Boyle, E. A., Hainey, T., Connolly, T. M., Gray, G., Earp, J., Ott, M., … Pereira, J. (2016). An update to the systematic literature
review of empirical evidence of the impacts and outcomes of computer games and serious games. Computers &
Education, 94, 178–192.

Arnab, S., Lim, T., Carvalho, M. B., Bellotti, F., de Freitas, S., Louchart, S., … De Gloria, A. (2015). Mapping learning and game
mechanics for serious games analysis. British Journal of Educational Technology, 46(2), 391–411. https://bera-journals.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/epdf/10.1111/bjet.12113

1 Like

Chess, I agree with @Ibraheem, can be one of the games used to teach strategic thinking. Many video games, in addition to chess, are used to train military personnel. This is an article I found that lists the video games that are used to train military personnel.

Are there any games that are now being utilised to train people in other industries?

Hmmmm i doubt if their is.

This can enhance Collective Intelligence.

Let your doubts be turned to belief! :+1:

Considerable discussion takes place these days on the semantic level of what constitutes a “game”, in addition to how “gamification” can be used for social, cultural and educational purposes. Is P4W largely about “video games” and “gaming”, or mainly about (un)employment and employability? Some people believe games are only entertainment, while others have conceived of serious games, educational games, and more recently, employability games.

This site (http://persuasivegames.com/) caught my attention a couple of years ago, one of the signposts that inspired P4W, which led to a book, by a professor of film & media studies, with a background in philosophy and comparative literature: Persuasive Games: The Expressive Power of Videogames, MIT Press. 2007.

I agree with @LanreShod that this phenomenon exemplifies a new form of collective intelligence.

I agree with you @g16arago, because games are made for different task. Just as courses in the university, each course train person a specific field. Same goes with games regardless of whether the game is a video or theorotical game. Because for every game their is a reason behind why its made.

It helps develop some level of skills. I heard Robert Kiyosaki says " he played Monopoly" and what he is doing now in the Real Estate business is what he was doing in the game" (paraphrased). Therefore, games can serve as a simulator for developing skills. And in the process of playing the game, Ideas can pop up.